The goats are all shorn - except for the three done back in May - and are now out fighting and carrying on like they've never met each other before. The weather was as close to perfect as you can get in August: cool and misting rain for part of it. We caught the goats without any trouble this morning, and they behaved well enough that we finished shearing without any escapees or mishaps. The shearer did her usual excellent job, so the total casualty report was one tiny nick above Astor's tail and an oozing cyst on Alys's neck that she couldn't see before she sheared down it. (Yes, cysts can be bad, though none from my goats ever have been yet, so I took a sample in a baggie and I'll drop that off at the lab on Monday for testing. My bet is that it is a wasp sting. But just in case, I *have* to know it's not something deadly and contagious.)
So now I have naked goats and a big pile of fleeces. I have my new skirting table to pick through them, and hopefully take some to the fall shows - Berryville and Rhinebeck - for competition and sale. I just heard from Still River Mill about my *last* processing order, which is only now underway, so I either get to wait on my next order until I see that come in, or send these fleeces to be processed on guess and golly. Wheeeeee mohair!