1. The vet came by to check Talla out and confirmed that she is pregnant. She is due in about three weeks, and it's probably only a single (thank goodness!). Penny's troubles from last year are being applied this year as lessons. Talla will not be dumped into the herd with the big girls for the summer; I'll be keeping the three yearling girls separated this time so that they get sufficient resources.
From NYS&W until 11/8, she was in PA; from 11/8 - 11/22 she was in MD. I picked her up on 11/22. So -- If Talla kids significantly before April 7th, then the father is white and comes from a farm in PA. If she kids between 4/7 and 4/21, then the father is black and comes from a farm in MD. If she kids after 4/21, then the father is black and comes from my back pasture (insert teeth grinding). If she kids near or on the 7th, then hopefully the kid's color will help explain things. After about the 10th, then I won't be able to tell by color because all the fathers are black.
2. While cuddling the baby goats yesterday, it occurred to me that Dahlia's kids are going to land on ear tag number 42. So, does it go to the girl or the boy? And what name would be appropriate for such an auspicious number? #38
- Constantine has been named. (Mona x Jared)#39
- Alys's boy (Alys x Loki)#40
& 41 - Anna's twin boys (Anna x Cookie)#42
& 43 - Dahlia's twin girl and boy (Dahlia x Jared)
We haven't really paid attention to numbers-for-names, except for Ida and Julius being named for the Ides of March. GCF 0014 was named Madison, not Valentine. GCF 0017 was Ria. GCF 0021 was Kagan. etc. So I'm not sure if #42
is worth the extra effort. But hey, I'm open to suggestions.
I have no clue what to do with Dahlia's kids' names. Sonia? Coraline? Winnowill? ::laugh::
I'm stuck on thinking of names for Anna's twins at the moment: Gyre and Gimble; Kiron and Ari; Ari and Owen; Kiron and Owen (heck, combine the two series and confuse everyone!
If I stay stuck on the Dragon Jouster
series too long, then Alys's boy becomes Kashet.
ETA: Mom said that there's another dragon out there that is bronze - Megelaar.BRONZE WINGS SPREAD wide, the mighty dragon hovered protectively above the Tree, head up and alert, emerald-bright eyes seeming to look directly into one's soul. Shan took a sharp breath and hung slightly back.
"It is Korval's shield," Er Thom murmured, though of course the child was too young to understand all that meant. He ran his palm down the image. "A picture, you see?"
The boy stepped forward and Er Thom lifted him, bringing him close enough to run his own hand down the smooth enameled surface. He touched the dragon's nose.
"Ah." Er Thom smiled and cuddled the small body closer. "Megelaar."
"Meg'lar," Shan mispronounced and touched the Tree. "Pretty."
3. Regarding predictions... Ok, so my bets
were totally off. The one thing I got completely right were the colors of Alys's and Dahlia's kids. I didn't even get the number right if you count Alys's DOA. And really? Besides the flood of boys, I can't say I mind. I especially don't mind missing out on white babies this year. Colored is just fine with me.
What I said and What I got
| ||I said...||I got...|
|Alys x Loki||one red female||one red male (one red female)|
|Anna x Cookie||mixed sex twins; one white one black||twins; both black; both boys|
|Mona x Jared||twins; one striped and one black; mixed sex||one black boy|
|Dahlia x Jared||one solid black male||twins; solid black; one boy one girl|
Interesting enough, if you reverse what I said about Dahlia and Mona, I almost got it right.